C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Elizabeth Hill Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:33:36 -0500
Hello Dianne,
What a great adventure you and your husband are about to embark on.  You'll
get to learn all sorts of new lingo that you never knew existed.  I wish
you the best of luck.  I'm a pediatric occupational therapist.  First thing
you need to do if you haven't already is contact your local Early
Intervention Center.  You can usually find this by calling your local/
state Child Find number, check your local yellow pages.  (Doctors only
sometimes have this information).  Your son should be evaluated by an
occupational, and physical therapist and speech pathologist.  Also, get a
developmentalist to check him out.  In our area, we have arena evaluations
to assess this.  It may take some time but, keep pushing them to get it
done.  Children don't grow out of CP and by learning how to position him
now will help decrease some problems later.
Make sure to check to make sure your childs had the full range of
diagnositic testing.  In our area, the docs are finding that many children
have mitochondrial disorders instead of the typical lesion in the brain.
And also just as important, get into a local support group for parents.
Arm yourself with information such as your rights to therapy, Medicaid/
social security laws, best practitioners in your area, etc.  Also, when
your frustrated (and you will get frustrated at times like all parents do)
you'll have a sympathetic ear to listen to you.
And above all else, be a parent, be a mom.  Don't let practioners talk you
into doing all the therapy for them.  Love your child, expect the best and
never fall into the "poor babies got a disability" trap.
You can find more CP resources at http://www.bv.net/~john/bethsot1.html
click on C resources, scroll down to cerebral palsy.
Again best of luck.

Elizabeth Thiers, OTR
email: [log in to unmask]
homepage: http://www.bv.net/~john/bethsot1.html