From:
Greta C. de Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:11:02 -0500

We have had discussions regarding muscle pain and fibromyalgia on this
listserve.   I personally am not a Celiac but my husband is.  I do
realize that he has suffered a lot of muscle pain much of which is
relieved now that he is on a gluten free diet.   I do not deny that some
persons with muscle pain are misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia who really
have Celiac Disease.  However, it is my experience that one can suffer
chronic muscle pain with out having Celiac Disease.   I just want to
make those who are interested to check with
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DrJohnson/drjohnson.html

Dr. Johnson discussed on 20/20 on March 10 about a doctor who was
diagnosed with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome.  The doctor
gave up his practice because of it and took a desk job reviewing
insurance claims.   He found that many with the same symptoms were
receiving surgery for a condition call Chiari.  It is a spinal stenosis
in the base of the neck and causes compression of the lower part of the
brain or the spinal cord.

I am not suggesting that all persons diagnosed with fibromyalgia have
Chiari syndrome.   I am stating that persons can experience chronic
muscle pain for various reasons and it is difficult to diagnose.  It is
not always due to Celiac Disease.