From:
Emily Feiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:36:06 EST

Well, I got lots (21) of responses on this one.  Although, some people
misunderstood my post.  I personally do not have a problem bringing GF foods
to restaurants but was responding to someone else who did, and wondered how
other celiacs handle the issue.  I must say, I am glad I asked the question
because I got feedback that let me know that I could be even more "mobile"
with my son (who is the celiac in the family) than I already am.

Everybody who responded said they do bring their own foods to restaurants.
Almost all said that they are treated well by staff and are not questioned,
unless it is with honest curiosity.  Several people pointed out that the
nicer (i.e., pricier) the restaurant, the better they handle the issue. Two
people said that they had been given a hard time or restaurants had refused
to let them bring in their own food.  Two people brought up legal points.
One said "In NYS, I have been told there is a Dept. of Health regulation
which prohibits a restaurant from taking foods (this happened to me with
bread) from a customer into the kitchen. "  But another said Celiacs are
protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act and therefor CANNOT be
denied the right to bring in their own food!

I was very interested to hear that a few people brought their own pizzas or
pizza crusts ready to be topped to Pizzerias.  I had contemplated this but
thought there was just too much flour floating around for it to be safe.

One person said they bring their own toaster to restaurants, ask to sit near
an outlet, and toast their own bread.

A few people really discouraged eating out on the diet and suggested it only
be done when absolutely necessary.

Several people said that calling ahead to restaurants was a good idea. It was
also suggested that people don't get involved in lecturing about celiac when
explaining why they are bringing their own food, just keep it simple and
matter of fact.

Finally, most people really felt that it was important to be able to visit a
restaurant and have their needs met.  So, bringing food was something they
did with ease and were confident about their right to do so.

Thanks to all for the great feedback.

Emily in NY