Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:54:26 -0700
From:
TIM WIND <[log in to unmask]>

Hello everyone. I just got back from Disney World and wanted to pass on
some information.

I had NO problems and ate pretty well while there. i even lost 4 pounds
after a week long trip.. it was due to less fattening meals of course
and not starving! :) i would reccommend getting a book about disney
world that lists ALL restaurants first. i did not have any information
and "winged it" but i found out that if you can plan at least 2 weeks in
advance you can get almost anything at all done for you!

ANY restaurant that takes priority seating reservations can prepare a
gluten free meal. i am sure there are other locations as well. i also
ate at the hotels food court (allstar movies) and also had a cook clean
the grill and prepare special. but it is just as expensive there as a
real restaurant, SO i would suggest do this as a last resort... (the
fish was 8$ and the ribeye was 11$..so i would eat elsewhere if you can.
it is still scary eating at the food court. i was nervous about the
chefscoat they spray on everything. they did not do it on mine, but they
sprayed it right next to me food once and well....)

anyway, if you call 407 wdw-dine you can book reservations for your
whole stay. you ask for priority seating and you also state that you
have a special dietary restriction and they will ask which one. gluten
free is on their database. they get at least 30 requests a day  so i was
told!  they ask that you call and confirm your reservations at each
areas main chef office 3 days prior. i mostly left messages on their
machine with my info if they were not there to take a call personally.
most places prepared me a plain grilled chicken (some added fresh garlic
too) and had a potato dish that was safe with a salad.  you do not
really tell them what you want, they tell you what they can do, or what
is safe on their menu or buffet.

i ate at the plaza restaurant at magic kingdom. the fries are safe and
made by carnation in dedicated fryers. (the fries at the allstar are
safe as well. but do ask to make sure they are dedicated. .. got to be
sure) this was in the 10$ range, mainly sandwiches type place. (this was
the plaza restaurant NOT the ice cream palor or plaza pavillion place on
each side)

i also ate at liberty tree tavern at magic kingdom. they had great
raspberry dressing for their salad. they have character dinners if you
are interested in this type of information as well. this was in the 15$
range. this place serves turkey and ham type meals. i think this was a
tie for my fave meal.

i ate at crystal palace on magic kingdom. this was a buffet type place,
but there was a special plate made for me, and this is the only place i
had a dessert as well. it was HUGE! 2 gf brownies with vanilla ice cream
and cherries in it! was pretty darn good. this place ran about 15$ a
person and was a character meal at lunch. (pooh characters)  i did not
check out the buffet so i have no idea what the spread is here for non
celiacs...

at epcot, i ate at la celliers and it was FANTASTIC! it is located in
canada and is a very beautiful place at sunset. i had the best garlic
potatoes and fish.  this was a more pricey place and ran in the 20$ and
up range. they serve fish and game meals. very nice menu, sure wish i
could have had the crab cakes! (maybe this is something they could do in
advance? worth a shot!)

we also ate at the coral reef at epcot for some nice fish. this is also
a higher priced place. it was very NOISY with tons of kids. the chef
here tried to make me eat more exotic type things than i wanted, but i
was still happy with the meal.  i think the chefs feel threatened when
they can not make us eat all the sauces they invent! :)

the last place we ate at at epcot was the san angel inn in mexico. i had
ate there a long time ago before. it was pretty good. my only fattening
meal too. i had the chicken nachos dish with No sausage (chorizo) and no
sour cream. it was pretty good. i was not crazy about their chips, but
then i am pretty picky at them anyway. it was still good. this was a 12$
and up type place. not too bad.  the cheese was not a cheddar or jack.
living in colorado i get spoiled with great mexican, so for florida,
this was a pretty good place to get mexican at if you are craving it.

we spent a day at animal kingdom and we ate at rainforest cafe. i have
heard some horror stories about this place on a celiac bbs, but i braved
it. it was not bad. they did make me a grilled chicken breast, steamed
broccoli, and mashed potatoes.  it was only 8$ so i was a happy camper.
i think the main thing is to just stick with a plain grilled chicken
breast when you eat out at places like this.

i had a great dinner at 1900 park something at grand floridian resort.
(no, could not afford to stay there!) it  was a villian character dinner
buffet. it was 23$ a person i think. we could safely eat the prime rib,
mussels and they would make a sorbet if you wanted it, i said no thanks.
i had the corn, garlic potatoes, marmalade type carrots, broccoli. and
they made me a salad dressing. the nicest chef i ever met was here. his
name was ken. he brought out every single lable to every food they had
on the buffet. they said they would make anything for me in the back if
i feared any cross contamination. they also stressed that if i gave them
48 hours notice, they would order and make ANYthing i would want for
breakfast. so, i am thinking if you can swing the top dollar hotels, you
will get treated the best, or just book some meals there! :) they bent
over backwards at this place.

we did not go to the studios so i have no idea how the restaurants are
there, but i do know for sure that the sci fi dine in theater and
hollywood and vine will take reservations and do gluten free meals. (my
3 yr old was tired that day so we chose to forgo the park.)

AGAIN, I do know that there are way more restaurants that will do meals.
so a book with basic info is something i would suggest if you are
staying a week like i did. this way you can plan it out and get a good
variety. i did not eat breakfast anywhere. i am not a breakfast person.
i mainly booked a lunch at noon or one and then a later dinner. there
are fruit carts in each park. around the haunted mansion at magic
kindom, near africa in animal kingdom, near africa in epcot. they are
also in other areas. but fresh fruit is no problem there!

i had never asked to talk to a chef in my life before, so this was all
new for me. all you do is tell the server you have a dietary restriction
and they bring the chef right out. they all were very nice to deal with.
i am now glad i went on vacation and will not dread a trip to florida
again. i had had major bad luck on a road trip last summer and had 3
incidents that still boggle my mind, but for anyone who is scared stiff
to travel, if you can take an hours time of planning and make the
reservations ahead of time, it will be the trip of your life! i am very
sensitive to anything and get sick on frookies and other things that
some celiac can eat with no problems, and not once did i have one
problem, so please if anyone is debating on vacations, you might try out
disney world.

michele in colorado