From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 1995 08:06:59 -0500

>The earlier posting on the lime used to treat corn in corn tortillas.
>Why is lime a problem?  Does it contain gluten?  If it does, does
>that mean ordinary chalkboard chalk contains gluten?  I am a
>mathematician so this could be quite important to me.

Lime is *not* the problem.  The problem is the food regulations
intentionally allow food processors to not list *ingredients of
ingredients*. Many ingredients have a "standard of identity" where the
regulations specifically spell out how it can be made and what is in it.
But then many don't.  When they don't, as in "lime", the processor can
include any ingredients he wants as part of the listed ingredient.  The
argument for this provision is that the lack of it would lead to overly long
lists of ingredients.  So HVP is only an unlisted ingredient of lime in the
food industry.

You are new to this.  But you will find the food industry is pretty sleazy.
They go to great lengths to hide what you are really eating, especially when
it comes to hiding those protein hydrolysates - which is the broad category
for HVP and the drug MSG.

I have many stories of hidden gluten.  One of my favorites is the hidden HVP
in Hormel's Cure|81 ham.  It's not in the ingredient list.  But there is a
banner across the top that says "...in Natural Flavors".

Best of luck.  We should be glad that we have a drug free cure.  I just paid
a visit to the usenet group: alt-support-crohns-colitis.  All they talk
about is which drug they're on, which ones they have tried, why their
doctors put them on this one or that, and what the side effects are. Yeech.