From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 09:39:37 -0400

Dear List:

This is a summary of my original post:
"My son, 31, is currently participating in a research study at the New
York State Psychiatric Institute, located at Columbia-Presbyterian
Medical Center in New York City.  To our astonishment they allowed him
to participate even though he is on a strictly gluten-free diet, and
they respect the diet 100%.  ...

This program is open to people ages 18 - 60.  It is entirely voluntary,
and free, since it is a research program.  ...If you would like more
information:  Telephone Claudine Cangiano, Screening Coordinator (212)
543-5418.  Or write: The Schizophrenia Research Unit/NYState Psychiatric
Institute, Unit #2/1051 Riverside Drive/NY, NY 10032.  e-mail:

Several people who responded wanted to know whether the PI was
researching the connection between CD and schizophrenia.  I cannot
answer that as yet, but will post a message when I can.  The issue is a
very complex one, both between my son and myself, and between him and
the staff there.  I am not meddling with his/their affairs because it is
not called for at this point; it would risk jeopardizing his autonomy
and I will not do that, or even appear to be doing that.  I am totally
impressed and grateful that they are treating him well and respecting
his dietary needs.

Nancy in nyc