From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 15:27:30 -0500

Hi All--

In my never-ending quest to determine what is making me sick (and thus
far focusing on gluten), I need a little help from those of you who are
educated on food allergies/intolerances and the IgE response. Of course,
*any* suggestions or comments to the following scenario/question are welcome.

I understand that a food allergy is the body's immune response to an
offending allergen, as opposed to an intolerance, which is the body's
reaction, where this might not be an immune reaction (eg lactose
intolerance); the body's immune response is what damages tissue or
organs. (Correct me if I am mistaken)

I have multiple environmental allergies to all trees, grasses, weeds,
and molds, dustmites and so forth. My docs (all 53 million) encourage me
to get a flu shot every year, but when I do, I'm ill within 45 minutes
of getting the shot and suffer for up to four months from extreme
fatigue, severe muscle and joint pain, somnolence (sp?), rashes of
unknown etiology, but not hives, headaches, rapid heart beat, and
shortness of breath. I know I don't have the flu, but recall that
persons with an allergy to eggs should not get a flu vaccination. (Duh.)
I have refused the flu shot these past two years now and have been
healthier. Of course, I've told all of my 53 million docs that I get
this reaction, but they just shake their heads and smile.

My question: If IgE responses to gluten can be identified in the
gastrointestinal tract, can IgE responses to eggs also be identified
either in the gastrointestinal tract or via skin biopsy of a rash? My
blood tests and intestinal biopsy for celiac were mostly negative - only
the blood test for absorption was abnormal. My allergist insists I do
not have food allergies because I do not exhibit "classic" symptoms of
burning mouth, hives, asthmatic reaction, etc. On the other hand, I *do*
exhibit gastrointestinal symptoms out the wazoo - all of them indicative
of a gluten intolerance....but perhaps egg (instead or also).

I could embark on an egg-free diet, but as most of us know, if something
isn't documented by a physician, frequently it is difficult to get
compliance from them when prescribing medications, getting special diets
in the hospital, etc. (It's difficult even when something is documented!)

If anyone has any information regarding how to go about determining
whether or not eggs are an allergen for me, in addition to eliminating
them from my diet, I would be grateful for your suggestions. I know I'm
lactose intolerant, so I already avoid dairy and milk protein. I began
to wonder about the IgE response when I ate gf bread this a.m. and had a
bad reaction - the bread was made with eggs.

Thanks...I'll summarize after finals on May 10th.

Ayn Gilliland
Topeka, Kansas