From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

Can't Come to a Blood Screening?
--------------------------------
So you can't come to one of the blood screenings for the University of
Maryland Center for Celiac Research?  Never fear; you can still
participate individually in the study.  Here's how:

If you have access to the internet, you can visit the University of
Maryland Center for Celiac Research website at
<http://celiaccenter.org> for instructions, or e-mail the center at
[log in to unmask] to request a consent form, a questionnaire,
and instructions on how to proceed as an individual participant.

If you don't have access to the internet, then write to the Center for
Celiac Research laboratory, call them, or fax them to request a
consent form, a questionnaire, and instructions on how to proceed as
an individual participant.  Here is the contact information:

   Pediatric GI & Nutrition Laboratory
   UMAB Bressler Research Building
   Attention: Tania Gerarduzzi, M.D.
   655 W. Baltimore Street, Room 10-049
   Baltimore, MD 2120l
   Phone number:  410-706-3734
   Fax number:    410-706-1669

Once you have the proper materials from the Center laboratory, you may
then see your own doctor to have your blood sample drawn.  The Center
laboratory suggests the following procedure for the procurement of the
blood sample.  To ensure that the proper procedure is followed, bring
this page with you and give it to your doctor or lab:

1.  7 to 10 ml of blood should be taken into a red-top tube.

2.  The blood should be mailed to the Center lab (address above) along
    with the completed questionnaire and the signed consent form (both
    supplied by the Center).

3.  Please ship by overnight mail in a plastic foam box.

4.  Until mailing, the sample should be stored at room temperature.

5.  Mail it immediately overnight in a plastic foam box at room
    temperature.

6.  Mail it to the Center laboratory at the address above.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Helpful Tips from the Readers, edited by Terry Kotlensky
-----------------------------
This month I had to do some digging for some helpful tips!  Hello
readers, I need help from all of you fellow celiacs!  Please call me
at 810-632-3083 or e-mail me at <[log in to unmask]> with your
helpful tips.  Thanks!

Terry's tips:  My kids love chocolate chip cookies, but I don't care
for the mess and chance of contamination of regular flour.  We buy
large containers of cookie dough at COSTCO.  It's a big hit with the
non-celiacs in my house.  They can have fresh home-made cookies and I
don't have to "sterilize" my kitchen!  A melon ball scooper makes it
easier too for making perfect size cookies.

Recently I purchased some gluten-free mixes and baked goods from a
company called Kinnikinnick.  Everything was excellent, especially
their vanilla creme cookies!  They don't guarantee the cookies will
make it in one piece, but they were great anyway.  The crumbs are
wonderful on ice cream!

Besides being celiac, I am also allergic to yeast.  Finding a great
tasting bread is nearly impossible as some of you may know!  But,
don't give up until you try Kinnikinnick's yeast-free Candadi bread
mix.  It's the best I've ever had, even better than home-made!  When
you don't have time to bake, their yeast-free prepared bread is like
Ener-G, except it has some flavor to it!  (Maybe someone should tell
Ener-G to use a little salt!)  They also have donuts, bagels, muffins,
and much more!  Call them toll free at 877-503-4466 or visit their web
page at <http://www.kinnikinnick.com>.--Terry Kotlensky

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Summer Celiac Activities:  Although we will not be having any chapter
general meetings for the next couple of months, there are national and
international celiac activities that you should remember and seriously
consider attending.  The Canadian Celiac Association will be holding
their annual national conference in Hamilton, Ontario on May 26-28,
2000.  The 9th International Symposium on Celiac Disease is being held
in Baltimore, Maryland on Aug 10-13, 2000.  And the CSA/USA Annual
Conference is being held in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Sept 29-Oct 1,
2000.  Consider attending one or more of these conferences this year.
We'll see you at our next general meeting in September.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Awareness in the Skies:  "Celiacs Helping Celiacs" is our motto, and
often non-celiacs get in the act as well, sometimes in the most
unlikely places.  Our daughter-in-law Joyce, not a celiac herself, was
a TWA flight attendant on a flight to North Carolina.  While Joyce was
passing out pretzels, one woman passenger asked for peanuts instead
because she couldn't eat the pretzels.  Joyce asked her if she was a
celiac.  When the passenger recovered from her surprise, she said,
"Yes, I'm new to it, but why do you ask?"  Joyce said her
mother-in-law and brother-in-law both have it, they had tons of
information about the disease, could help her get in touch with a
local support group, and did she want to make connections with her
mother-in-law?

With that, another female passenger across the aisle spoke up and
said, "I'm also celiac and have all that information here with me.
I'll give it to you now if you wish."  Joyce moved on.  The ladies
talked.  And another "Celiacs Helping Celiacs" story was
made.--Carolyn Sullivan.

Wyler's Bouillon is NOT gluten-free, according to an e-mail response
received by TCCSSG member Pam Murphy.  To quote, "...Wyler's Bouillon
is not considered gluten-free in either Shakers or Cubes form."  For
more information, send an e-mail inquiry to <[log in to unmask]>.