Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 09:30:21 -0800
>I'm driving home listening to a story on NPR about finding some bones 1.7
>million years old in Georgia (Russia, not US).  This is news because it
>wasn't believed that man left Africia that soon.  One of the voices on the
>story speculated that a reason for leaving Africa might have been that
>humans were getting "a taste for meat".  Huh?

I heard this too and thought it sounded weird - why would they have
to leave Africa if they were all of a sudden getting "a taste for
meat" - is there no game in Africa? Also seems pretty likely that
early humans were eating a bit of meat whenever they could, I
wouldn't think it was a very sudden change - as hunting skills
improved, they'd eat more meat - if living near water, same for
fishing skills and fish.

Zoe
Santa Cruz CA

Zoe Sodja