From:
Chuck Spindler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 16:47:04 -0500
Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble and am hoping someone(s) could shed some light
for me.

I started doing LC back in October, doing a combo of Eades and Atkins
(mostly Eades).  Then I read Neanderthin and the new Protein Power
Lifeplan, so I began gravitating towards a more Paleo approach.  To
date, I've lost about 70 pounds and have generally been feeling great.
My food plan is not a strict version of Paleo, but I believe in it and
thus try to do it as much as possible.  I eat absolutely no grains, no
starches, no sugar, and no refined carbos in any form other than the
ocassional very few that sneak into some salad dressings, etc.  I exist
primarily on meat (beef, chicken, pork, seafood -- approximately in that
order of prominence), eggs, vegetables, salad and some fruit.  I drink
lots of water, a little decaf coffee with saccharin & heavy cream, and a
small-to-moderate amount of diet rite (sucralose, NO aspartame!).  Heavy
cream and small, ocassional amounts of cheese are the only dairy I
consume.  I also take a full complement of supplements.  In
"Eades-Speak" I'm basically a Dilettante.

Trouble #1:  about 2-3 weeks ago, I began experiencing diarrhea.  Not
the "run-to-the-bathroom-20-times-a-day type", but most days, I have to
visit the john 2-4 times.  At first, I thought maybe I picked up a touch
of salmonella, although I felt fine in every other respect (and still
do).  So, I figured it would run it's course, and didn't really worry
about it.  Into the second week, I began to wonder what was going on and
starting thinking about going to the doctor.  For a day or two, it
seemed to be getting a little better, so I put off calling the doc.
Then it came back and has mostly stayed back.  I haven't yet been able
to really correlate any specific foods that are bringing it on.  Also,
since I've basically been eating the same way since October, I'm
hesistant to blame it on diet.  When I first began doing LC, I did have
diarrhea right out of the gate as many people do for about 10-14 days,
but that promptly cleared up and hasn't been a problem since, until now
that is.  Ultimately, I did call the doc and will be seeing him this
Thursday.  I was hoping to get some opinions from some veteran Paleo's
and LC'ers first however.

Trouble #2:  in the last couple of months or so (maybe a little longer)
I've been experiencing bad indigestion (heartburn).  Before starting
LC/Paleo, I used to have pretty bad heartburn.  Once I was solidly on
the new food plan, it seemed to all but go away.  Now, however, it's
back with a vengeance.  The heartburn I'm having now is some of the
worst I've had in my life, to the point of needing to take Gaviscon
before going to bed.

As I write this and go over it all in my brain trying to remember if
anything else has changed, it occurs to me that I have altered my
nutritional supplement profile in the recent 4-8 weeks.  Specifically,
I've added stand-alone supplements of Magnesium Citrate (800 mg/day),
CoQ10 (100 mg/day), and Vitamin E (1000 IU/day).  Prior to these
additions, my supplement regimen had been static since I began.  Hmmm .
. . could this be the key?  I didn't mean to bias this message towards
the supps, any other thoughts or ideas as well would be appreciated . .
.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice,
Chuck