From:
Julie Kangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 16:17:08 -0700
On Fri, 5 May 2000, Wally Day wrote:

> Onto another subject. I heard a local news story on
> the radio today. It seems a lady from PETA
> (unfortunately, not the People Eating Tasty Animals
> group :) staged some sort of demonstration in a local
> park today with some kind of giant paper mache fish.
> Her message? She wants to convince kids that fishing
> is bad and they should leave their fishing poles at
> home. Come on now, what'll be next with these people?
> I can "kind of" understand their revulsion about
> killing and eating cute, cuddly mammals - but fish? Am
> I missing something here?

They've been protesting fishing for a while.  While
I certainly do not support anything that PETA does
(I'm a proud People Eating Tasty Animals member :)
it's almost refreshing to see a little consistency.
I'm always amazed how some self-described vegetarians
seem to think that fish are some sort of slimy swimming
vegetable :)

I happen to think fish are cute.  Really.  But that's
not the reason I don't eat them - they taste completely
and utterly *bad*.  I think deer are cute too.  They
however are delicious so they get shot and eaten.  I
don't think it's a good idea to draw the line between
eaten/not eaten based solely on the cuteness factor.
Heck, most people  aren't nearly as cute/cuddly as deer.
The vast majority of us wouldn't dare step out of our
houses for fear of being turned into a good looking
person's dinner. ;)

Julie
(Ok, that last bit was shamelessly stolen from
Patrick McManus.)