From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:05:32 -0600
jlpresto wrote:

> Why do some people on this list seem to think that you should cook meat and
> chicken if it is not organic (supermarket bought, for example), but eat it
> raw if it is organic?
>
> Does cooking it somehow reduce the unorganicness of it?

I don't think so.  Rather, that the meat and chicken raised in the factory
farms and mass processed is usually if not always contaminated with the
"bad" bacteria such as salmonella.  When you buy organic meats, the animals
were better treated; they are less likely to be ill when slaughtered; and the
small-scale local slaughtering facilities are usually more sanitary.  I have
eaten
organic, small-scale meat raw, but I haven't had the nerve to eat supermarket
meat that way.  You could get the same results with somebody's backyard
steer, processed in a local shop.

Lynnet