C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:02:42 EST
In a message dated 02/11/2000 9:11:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Funny you should mention this Betty.  I'm writing an article (on spec) for
 "Sierra" magazine that explores the (sometimes rocky) relationships between
 farmers/ranchers and enviros.  I'll let you know when I get a pub date.

 Anyway, in response to my query about writing the article, the editor had
 the same scathing remarks about environmentalists bashing their own kind and
 was quite concerned about backlash from the middle-ground (where decisions
 are actually made about these issues).

 Watch "Krat's Kreature's", a PBS afterschool nature show for kids.  The
 homonid bashing is quite scary.

I'd like to read your article when it's published Kyle.  I'll also watch
Krat's Kreatures this afternoon.  This is a sensitive subject for me because
the nature world was my pre-disability world.  The underlying hostility with
which I was discarded after I became disabled is the basis for my motivations
now.  I've needed a long time to achieve a fair perspective so I can look at
this objectively.  I'm not sure that I do now, but I'm closer to the mark.
It's the "quiet" hostility I think about -- what does it mean?  How prevalent
is this in society?  And what can I do in my little corner of the universe to
help change it?

It does frighten me Kyle.