C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:32:16 EDT
Hi All,

While editing today's tell-us-your-story.com, I read a compelling story
written by a Mother who's daughter has CP.  I put this story on the home page
as "today's story," and want to share it with you also.

I am aware that there are a number of parents here who have children with CP,
and I thought this reading might be of interest to you.  Additionally, it's
an eye-opener for adults with disabilities who aren't fighting these
particular battles (but perhaps their parents fought them on their behalf).

My interest always seems to turn towards the needs of children with
disabilities, indeed, all children.  But it does seem that advocates for our
children come largely from within the ranks of the disability community.  In
view of that thought, it seems good for those of us with disabilities to know
what battles parents may be engaged in on behalf of their children.

Having said that, I'm including a snippet of Carol Esing's story.  If you
would like to read her entire story, please see today's
tell-us-your-story.com.  Perhaps you would like to add something in reply on
the tell-us-your-story.com website, or even come back here to discuss issues
you have with IDEA, IEPs, etc.  At the end of her story snippet, I've
attached the link to tell-us-your-story.com.

"I am a parent of a very severely disabled beautiful 10 year-old-daughter,
named Ashley. I am also a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor and work for a
Disability Management Company. I have been practicing in this field for
approximately 19 years. I have a Master's Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling
from Springfield College.

...I would learn that the true challenges would be in dealing with our school
district. I knew that Ashley was going to need early intervention services
(based on my training in graduate school). In the early intervention program
Ashley received 30 minutes of Physical therapy and 30 minutes of Occupational
Therapy per week. They decided they would restructure the program, which
would only offer physical therapy 30 minutes per month. They indicated that
the child could learn the needed skills by watching others. This is a child
with severed disabilities with Cerebral Dysgeneis, Cerebral Palsy, Seizures,
Apnea, Reflux, etc."

 <A HREF="http://www.tell-us-your-story.com/">tell-us-your-story.com</A>

http://tell-us-your-story.com

Thanks -- I'm thinking good thoughts about each of you today (not that I
don't any other day, mind you).

Betty