C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:39:25 EST
In a message dated 02/24/2000 7:58:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Ok, here's the professional talking because the personal side says ditto to
 what everyone else said.  Professionally, do you know if the visiting nurse
 has talked to her company's social worker?  Sometimes the social worker can
 arrange to get extra help (re: respite care from volunteer groups, etc) and
 the big one is, make sure he/she talks with you and truly understands your
 capabilities.  In the meantime, you need to make sure you take care of
 yourself also (I know, easier said then done)You may end up making your mom
 live downstairs so that you don't have  to walk up the stairs.
 It can't be easy for you, but, make her get up if she wants to eat, then she
 has to come down stairs.

 Hugs to you Betty,

 Beth the OT >>

Thanks for the hugs Beth -- I'll take them!

Hooray!  She is finally coming down the stairs.  She wanted a cup of coffee
last night (a fine thing for someone with colon cancer), and I took my sweet
time getting it to her (evil daughter routine).  The next thing I knew, she
was on her way down to get it for herself.  HA!  If I had known that
witholding nourishment would have done the trick, I would have starved her
last week. Just kidding...maybe.

Yes, we knew about the availability of extra help through a social worker,
but Mom TURNED IT DOWN!   Hopefully now though, she will start coming down
regularly.  Even as we speak she is making her own breakfast!  Hooray!!!  I
feel like going to Disneyworld now!  HOORAY!