C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:12:33 EST
In a message dated 02/13/2000 8:00:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< And yes I have had to fight for my oldest to get educated, no one wanted to
 take the time and teach him, they would rather write him off as a flunky and
 he is only in the second grade.  He is finally getting the attention he
 needs but I had to enroll him into a special school for that. >>

Deborah, Last year I spent some time with a young man who was being home
schooled due to central auditory processing delays.  His parents had quite a
struggle in private and public schools trying to get the best possible
education for him.  Teachers continually dismissed him as a behavioral
problem, rather than treating him as a student with a learning disability.
He just isn't able to perform in the traditional classroom setting; I can see
that when we are together.  He does well with museum visits and similar field
trips, and I think the difference is visual stimulation and brief length of
time visiting each museum exhibit.  He seems to fade out after about five
minutes so we have to take frequent breaks.  We worked with sign language
last year as well; that seemed to be more successful than other languages.

We also spent time talking about WW I and II.  His mother recently told me
that he can still recall the Axis and Allied powers, the heads of most of
those countries, and  factors that lead to Hitler's rise and power.  We
visited museums, watched relevant movies, and had two-way discussions.  We
are going to start working together again in a few months, and I have to say
that he is a delight.  I have the advantage of having him alone though.  In
the classroom, he was with 20 or so other students.

I wondered whether I would be a suitable person to work with him, since I
don't have a degree.  I don't know though.  Our time together seemed
productive, and he showed a definite interested in the subject material.  In
school, he just seemed to be frustrated most of the time.  If he can still
remember the things we talked about last year, that seems positive.  It was a
good experience for me, and I hope it was for him too.  Really, we had a lot
of fun.  Maybe I had the most fun.

Betty