PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 09:24:44 +0000
RE:
>Can one do effective therapy with others without engaging in some ongoing form
>of self-analysis?  I think not. by David M.

Exactly!  And of course, we have our patients absorb a capacity for self
analysis when we see them for analysis. One question is: how likely is it
that a person can do successful self analysis without at least some
experience of analysis?  Another is: Why do people look to mirror the
pattern of personal analysis in self analysis?  There are many successful
devices I have used and seen others use.  Some say the problem with self
analysis is that the transference is always positive.  Cute and with an
element of truth. But you can notice repetitions developing with other
people, and transference developing even  to casual acquaintances, which
may be very short lived (one second?!) and these are useful sources.  One
of the best papers on this topic is:

Anderson, Harry M.  "The Self Analysis of an Experienced Psychoanalyst:
Development and Application of an Uncommonly Effective Technique." London:
Free Associations:, Vol. 3, Pt. 2, no. 25, 1992, pp. 111-135.

Wm.J.Massicotte Ph.D.
3565 Connaught Ave.
Montreal, Quebec H4B 1X4
CANADA