From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:21:36 MST
I remeber a few days ago someone asking about money saving tips (the
NeanderTwins, perhaps?).  Here's my two cent's worth, as it were.

FOOD

Next time you're in the grocer's meat section, look for the discount bin.
You'll find all sorts of meats reduced, sometimes drastically.  Usually it's
only one or two days older than the bulk of what's being sold full price.

Here in Denver, Wednesday's papers have the grocery store sale inserts.  It
takes just three minutes to see what's cheap for the week.  And obviously,
if it's cheap and freezable, stock up.  Some people find store discount
cards intrusive and refuse to use them, but use a VISA and they get all the
skinny on you anyway.  I save up to 20% on my grocery bill with my card.

Look in the Yellow Pages to see if you may be unaware of a health food store
in your area.  Here in Denver, most people go to Alfalfa's or Wild Oats,
owned by the same company.  Some haven't heard of Vitamin Cottage, where the
prices are FAR lower, almost beyond comparison.  The other two stores are
where the yuppie snobs go to look cool.  Puh-leeze.

GARDEN

Well, it won't save money, I guess, but I try to grow stuff that gives me
the most food per square foot.  I love growing spinach!  You eat practically
the whole plant and fresh spinach is very expensive in the store.  Lettuce
gives you a good bang for the buck spacewise, too.  And who can forget
zucchini?  It's so fruitful many people live to regret planting it.  It
takes up some space, but it won't stop producing, believe me.

Save the leaves, stems and whatnot you might throw out and start the good
ol' compost pile.  I'm sure we're all aware of the concept, but it's amazing
what we throw out, isn't it?  Most of us don't do coffee, but ask your
neighbor to save the coffee grounds for you; they're great for the soil.

CLOTHES

If you're losing weight and need to update the ol' wardrobe, get thee to a
thrift store.  You would not BELIEVE what people donate!  Brands I see on a
regular basis; Eddie Bauer, Liz Claiborne, Anne Klein, Abercrombie & Fitch
and on and on.  Many times, the items were never worn, just didn't fit the
buyer's taste after all.  Call me somewhat sexist, but a trip to the
Goodwill satisfies the female hunter and gatherer within me.  Sniff, sniff -
me smell bargain!  :oD

Bargain Queen Dori Zook
Denver, CO