From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 00:07:07 -0600
From: Dr. James Alpigini
Dear Mr. Audette,

>First, on page 38, you state that Neanderthal man evolved into Cro-Magnon
>man.  This is contrary to what I learned, or at least thought I had.  Have
>you a reference for this?

It is my contention that Cro-Magnon is a neotenized, gracile  form of
Neanderthal ( hence NeanderThin)

>Second, you state on page 56 that fat is broken down into glucose.  I had
>been led to beleive that fat could be broken down into fatty acids which
>are used by muscles and organs and ketones which are used by the brain.
>Have you a reference for this?

Even in a zero carb all meat and fat diet, glucose levels do not drop to
below normal.  Bernstein in fact reccommends the diet for hypoglycemia (low
blood sugar).  I did not get into the biochemistry of this in my book.  I
know I should have clarified this better in the book (See latest amazon
review (two star)):(

>On page 67, you state that corn protein can cause a celiac reaction.  While
>it is true that some celiac's are sensitive to corn, the sensitivity is not
>the celiac reaction.  A celiac reaction is a response to gluten, which is
>the protein in rye, oats, barley and wheat.  Although it is true that cross
>contamination can render corn unsafe in the celiac sense.  However, you
>also state that the plant protein will be present in the muscle tissue.  I
>would very much like the reference for this.

Perhaps I should have said "can cause a reaction in a celiac".  The
statement about plant proteins was based on an experiment splicing a gene
from brazil nuts to soybeans.  People allergic to the nuts had a reaction to
the beef from the cattle fed the genictly modified soy.  This case was
widely reported in the popular press.

>I thank you in advance for your consideration, and I wish you the best of
>fortune with the sales of your book.

James

James Alpigini, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Systems Engineering
Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies