From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 16:40:09 MST
Greetings, All!

After looking at the Paleolithic diet for quite some time, I'm jumping on
the proverbial bandwagon.  I've also searched the archives and saw the
postings on PCOS.  Since I have it, I thought I'd pass on just a litte
information.

Ben, it can cause major fertility problems but this hormonal imbalance
affects a woman's entire body, including her metabolism.  So discussing it
here is both prim and proper.  It is not rare, however.  It affects 6-10% of
all women, yet few know they have it.  The vast majority of those who do
only found out after visiting a long list of doctors.  Don't even get me
started on that.

The primary symptoms are obesity, abnormal or absent periods, excess facial
hair and acne.  The list of secondary systems is at least an arm's length,
probably even longer.  But a woman with just ONE of the Big Four should do
some research.  Go to http://www.pcosupport.org to start.  Do NOT go to a
GYN/OB for treatment!!!  This is ENDOCRONOLOGICAL disorder.  Therefore,
visit an endocinologist.  Make sure he or she has experience with PCOS.
Otherwise, you're wasting your money.  They don't want you to know this, but
it's true.

As for me, I started low-carbing 1/1/98.  It worked wonders; weight loss,
end of my insomnia, no more longings for an afternoon nap, yadda yadda
yadda.  Then I read an article on PCOS and nearly fell out of my chair!
Sure 'nuff, I had it.  Through dietary changes alone, my cycles went from
30-50 days apart (average of 47) to 30-35 days apart almost IMMEDIATELY.  I
did lose 50 pounds, but then hit a wall.  One of the most important new
treatments for PCOS is glucophage, originally used to combat type II
diabetes.  I am hoping that this, combined with the Paleo diet, will help me
finish what I started and drop another 40 pounds or so.

Only recently have I seen reports that problems with the pituitary gland and
the hypothalamus may be the root cause of PCOS.  I have a high prolactin
level, so I'm giving bromocriptine a try, as well.

This is longer than I had hoped, but if this helps just one person on God's
green earth, I have no regrets.  Feel free to send a private message for
more information if you wish.

My long-term goal is to become a registered dietitian and use low-carb diets
to bring about good health.  Joining this list will keep alive my passion to
achieve this goal.  Can't wait!

Dori Zook
Denver CO