From:
"S.B. Feldman, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 08:02:34 EDT
Doctor puts herring on prescription
Bryan Christie , Edinburgh
[eBMJ]
An unconventional approach to the treatment of heart disease is being taken
by a doctor in Stromness in the Orkney Islands, in Scotland, who is
prescribing tubs of marinaded herring for his patients to eat.

The herring is being provided through an NHS funded project that is seeking
to turn a local product into a regular treatment. It is also provoking
considerable surprise among patients at the Stromness general practice, who
are not used to leaving the surgery with something for their evening meal.

Although there is evidence that a diet rich in oily fish can prevent heart
attacks, the main message that Dr Andrew Trevett is hoping to get across with
the initiative is that patients do not have to rely on drugs alone to try to
reduce their risk of heart disease.

He hopes that in dispensing the herring, patients will be able to appreciate
more fully the benefits that improvements in diet can make to their health.

"The idea really is to try to induce lifestyle changes. We are hoping to show
people that there are things they can do for themselves," said Dr Trevett.

The herring, which is supplied by a local company, is kept in the practice's
refrigerator and given to patients with existing heart problems. They are
advised to eat two portions a week and are also encouraged to give up smoking
and take more exercise.

Dr Trevett said that the project will run for six months and monitoring will
then take place to see if the patients given the herring have made positive
lifestyle changes. Anyone who is not partial to herring is advised that
sardines, tuna, mackerel, and wild salmon are equally beneficial.

"So far the reaction has been very positive. Most people think it is a bit
quirky, but they appear to like it," said Dr Trevett.

Stan Headley, one of the patients prescribed the herring, admitted to being
surprised when first offered it. "I actually thought the doctor was joking,
but I soon realised he was very serious about the whole thing. The concept of
getting it on prescription seemed pretty radical to meit was the last thing I
expected."