From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 07:41:42 -0400
On Thu, 18 May 2000 22:33:27 -0700, Eric Armstrong
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>However, I can tell you that the
>industrial-society diseases described in the book's
>description can be laid *squarely* at the door of the
>trans fats, cross-linked fatty acids, bond-shifted fatty
>acids, and other adulterated fatty acids that result
>from *high-heat processing* of EFAs. ..

So, never cook with or fry with or heat polyunsaturated fats...

Trans Fats look to me also be the explanation,
on the DHA content in the blood of mothers USA or GB, veg. and not.

>You might also want to take a look at my web site
>http://www.treelight.com/health

Eric, thanks for you website. I enjoyed the big collection of book
references and citations. Especially on trans fats (Frankenfats).

Water Melon Kernels: Are you shure the can be eaten without problems
or beneficial? I used to spit them out, but munching them looks
much cleaner - if its even nutritional - great.

> Some of those articles dwell
>on the singular fact that omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty
>acids ...

So far, reading Sears, it appears that omega-6 FA are the source
of both the "good" *and* "bad" eicosanoids.
Its just that (w-3) EPA seems to promote the non-AA or "good"
side of production , as absence of insulin does.

Note on absence of insulin: why is he promoting frequent meals then?
Insulin goes up only for a few hours after a meal.
Less meals would do better then many small ones, for the hours of the day.
At my first look, it is a weak approach to include high protein for the
purpose to promote glucagon.
Working of glucagon requires absence of insulin.
It shouldn't work after a meal.

His (first) approach of supplying EPA (and borage oil) to encourage
"good" eicosanoid production look to a little too machanistic to me.
As the result prooves, because after some days of good effect the
opposite occured. Looks like a counter-regulation of the body.
What *does* actually adjust the bodys setting for good or bad eicosanoids?
(Todd may have mentioned something already, I'll look back)
Is it only the ratio w-6 to w-3? Or is it only missing w-3 that hinders
proper eicosanoid production? Anyway it looks as to be a good
influence, and evolutionary reasonable.

Please forgive that my notes on Sears' book are not so well digested yet.

Btw borage oil... *hemp* oil contains 3% of that so seldom GLA
found in borage seed.

> Aboriginal tribesmen who eat a
>high meat diet don't seem to suffer from those things, and
>I'm not sure that their Omega-3 intake is all that high.

Do you have references on the diet of aboriginals?
Which meats they eat looks like to be w-3 high or low?
I know from much insects, maggots and small reptils - anyway animals
living in the wild outback, from plants which itself are probably
very good w-3 EFA donators.

cheers

Amadeus