From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 23:43:28 -0700
On Mon, 15 May 2000 14:00:51 CDT, Justin Hasselman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think you're overtraining your body.  IMO, pumping iron more than 1-2
>times a week is counterproductive and it will also weaken your immune
>system.  If you're going to use the upper-body/low-body training split, then
>just do upper-body 1 day per week and lower-body 1 day per week.  You'll
>probably get stronger by working out less.
>
>When training naturally, you have to weigh your recovery ability very
>carefully.  I have especially found this to be true with myself.
>
>Doing abs is a waste of time.  If you do compound movements (squats,
>curl-grip pulldowns, dips, standing dumbbell shoulder press) then your abs
>are going to get more than enough work.  If you want washboard abs, then
>ultra low bodyfat levels are what accomplishes this, not crunches or situps.
>
>I would eat more carbohydrates too, especially in your post workout meal.  I
>don't think there's anything unhealthy about eating a higher carbohydrate
>diet so long as the carbs come from fruit/vegies and not grains.

Wow - I think we are all in agreement on virtually all points!

I would disagree though, with Justin, on just the post workout meal aspect -
here is a quote on this subject:

" Different events occur during anaerobic exercise where you are trying to
enhance the release of human growth hormone and testosterone.  Actually, the
release of these hormones (growth hormone in particular) doesn't occur during
exercise, but in a window 15 to 30 minutes after exercise.  The more intense the
exercise, the more growth hormone and testosterone are released.  This is why
anaerobic training, like weight-lifting and wind sprints, is ideally suited for
maximizing new muscle mass development.

  Growth hormone release is primarily needed to repair the micro-tears in the
muscles that occur during intense anaerobic exercise.  The more intense the
training, the more damage to the muscle tissue.  Growth hormone not only repairs
the damaged muscle tissue, but also increases the size of the existing tissue.
In addition, weight training also causes the increase of testosterone that works
in concert with growth hormone to form new muscle mass.

  Unfortunately, the more insulin in the bloodstream, the less growth hormone
will be released regardless of the intensity of your anaerobic training.  This
means that all of the hormonal benefits of anaerobic exercise can be quickly
undone by a high-carbohydrate sports "energy" drink consumed just after
exercise.

  And like aerobic exercise, it is possible to overtrain with anaerobic
exercise.  Anaerobic exercise produces far more stress than aerobic exercise.
After approximately 45 minutes of weight-lifting, the levels of cortisol have
increased to such an extent that diminishing hormonal returns take place.  In
addition, testosterone levels begin to drop as more precursors of testosterone
are diverted to facilitate increased cortisol production in response to
exercise-related stress. "

- from pg. 102-103 of "The Anti-Aging Zone" by Barry Sears, PhD