From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 16:15:00 -0700
On Fri, 12 May 2000 14:59:28 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Cortisol is sort of a hormonal stimulant, putting one into "fight
>or flight" readiness.  Physiologically, this makes sense.  If
>one's blood sugar is dipping below normal it's probably a good
>sign that one should get busy finding food (unless the dip is
>caused abnormally, as in reactive hypoglycemia).  Finding food
>requires energy, so the cortisol helps to mobilize the body, by
>stimulating gluconeogenesis, so that the tissues that need
>glucose will get it, and predisposing the body to vigorous
>physical activity, such as hunting or gathering.  If this didn't
>happen, then when blood sugar dropped below normal, one would
>just become lethargic.  This probably would not be a very
>successful response.

This is a great example of why the body's clever and efficient mechanisms are
killing us off.

There are a number of mechanism involving insulin, cortisol, free radicals, and
iron (among others) that were designed to deal with occasional perilous
situations.

These mechanisms worked just fine for Paleo man "naked with a sharp stick".

However, for the modern office worker, who is under continual daily stress,
rather than a once a month attack by sabertooth tigers :-), and who eats a
continual stream of bagels and snack-wells, rather than a once a year honey
find, these mechanisms are now themselves the attackers rather than the
protectors.

To me, this indicates two courses of action:

(1) Return as much as possible, practical and desirable to a Paleo lifestyle.
The most important and effective way of doing this is to change "back" to a
Paleo diet.   The clinical experience of open-minded doctors indicates that this
has the most effect.

(2) Use current physiological knowledge to try and avoid the bodily mechanisms
designed for outdoor wilderness survival (ie emergency systems that have a
negative effect when used constantly, like cortisol).   Adjusting carbohydrate
intake, adding Omega-3 fatty acids, and weight training are some of the actions
indicated - and all three of them are consonant with a Paleo lifestyle, although
specific amounts used are undoubtedly different for those of us who have years
of "Neolithic living" to erase...

--
Cheers,

Ken