From:
Deborah Birkett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 23:31:12 -0400
Dori wrote:

The sweeteners are both low in carbs.  A standard size can has less than 10
carb grams, I believe 4.  One plant extract is native to China.  The other
is in the cactus family and, if I remember correctly, is native to South
America.  My editors and I all did research on the sweeteners and could
only
learn so much, thus we niether endorsed nor condemned the product.

Is one of them Stevia? I think it's native to South America, and I don't
know if it's part of the cactus family (I think the plant is somewhat
daisy-like).

What I've read about Stevia is that it has virtually no calories, is
something like 30 times sweeter than table sugar (so you only need tiny
amounts) and seems to be pretty hard to find. (I have my own theories about
how big (sugar) business interests have suppressed its use.)

Here's a page (can't vouch for the validity of any of the info though):

http://www.alacartegifts.com/stevia/steviafacts.htm

Deborah