From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 11:49:37 MDT
>Beth,
>
>You might be interested in this website http://www.jesusveg.com.  The
>opening page is hilarious....

Ah, religion and politics, my two favorite subjects!

As an admitted Christian (although liberal, thank you very much) who went to
a Christian college and attends church to this day, I just LOVE getting into
religious arguments.  Not that this is one, but here's my two cents,
nonetheless.  Feel free to whip the following out the next time *you* get in
an argument with some whack-o.

So, Eden was a vegetarian paradise, eh?  Well, if the only humans around
were Adam & Eve followed by their divine offspring, then I guess incest is
best, as the old saying goes.  If you're really into taking things
literally, don't forget about Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding.
Well, dang, that means Jesus was a DRUNK!  Solomon had enough wives &
concubines to wear out Bill Clinton; maybe we should all just marry
eachother.  Hallelujah!  Incest, murder, lying, cheating and stealing are
not only mentioned in the Bible, they're also acts of more than a few
Judeo-Christian heros and heroines.

In other words, you can make scripture say whatever you want.  While I'm not
a literalist (in case you couldn't guess), there's one verbal treasure I
*do* embrace; judge not lest ye be judged.

As for vegetarianism, I'm a good little Mennonite girl, a denomination that
embraces pacifism. Mennonites (with a few exceptions, of course) refuse to
serve in the military in the name of Christ.  But I know many a Mennonite
pacifist who takes his rifle out on Bambi-blasting expidition every chance
he can get.  And God bless them every one!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO