From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:25:59 -0500
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, gordon wrote:

> You didn't mention your height or your BMI but it would seem that you are
> not actually obese, or that you are only borderline obese, and that perhaps
> you are close to where I was before I decided to lose weight with Atkins
> last year.

My height is 6'1", same as you.

> I was wearing size
> 38 pants and they were extremely tight and uncomfortable.

I'm wearing size 36 now, without *too* much strain.  At 215 lbs.,
I wore size 34 comfortably.  I was wearing 38 uncomfortably when
I was 255 pounds.  I am somewhat short-legged for my height,
since my inseam is only 30".  This, of course, throws off the
relevance of BMI, since most people of my (our) height have
longer legs, and torso weighs more than legs.  But anyway, my
current BMI is 31.  The doctor classifies me as "moderately
obese."  According to his tables, I should weigh what my current
LBM is or less, which is preposterous of course.  But he accepts
15% BF as a reasonable goal, which means that I need to lose less
than 10% of my current weight.

> I know you have an indifferent attitude about ketosis, and that you've
> experimented with it without success, but I'm wondering if you have ever
> tried an experiment in which you stayed in a serious state of "deep" ketosis
> for an extended period of time, say for example twelve weeks. If not then it
> might be something for you to consider if my experience is any indication.

My first extended period of ketosis has been only recently.
Previously, I could never get past about 3 weeks, because I would
start getting mood swings and heart palpitations. I'm not sure
why that is not happening now, but I have a theory that it was
electrolyte depletion, causing low blood pressure and rhythm
disturbances.  This time I have been careful to use plenty of
extra salt -- the kind with potassium mixed in -- and I'm
tolerating ketosis pretty well.

Yesterday's menu was typical, carb-wise, and it had less than 40g
of carbs; probably less than 30g.  Before attempting to restrict
calories, I would tend to snack on things like pork cracklings
and broiled chicken wings and multiple Landjaegers (260 calories
apiece, mostly fat).  As you see, I didn't lose weight, but
actually managed to gain some (but slowly) this way.

If it makes sense to speak of a continuum between "fat-storing"
mode and "fat-burning" mode, I accept that ketosis is probably as
far as one can go in the fat-burning mode direction.  And I
accept that there is a small bonus of unburned calories leaving
the body as ketones.  But I seem to be a good example of the
Eades' point that being in fat-burning mode is not the same as
being in *fat-loss* mode.  The body needs a reason to give up its
stored fuel.  At least, mine apparently does.  My unrestricted
appetite is rather large, however.  For example, at last night's
"restricted" dinner I ate an 8-ounce steak.  I could *easily*
have eaten twice that, and would have enjoyed it, but I can't
lose weight that way.

Todd Moody