Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:11:47 -0500
Hans,

> Probably it is a grain-eating salmon.

Perhaps but I don't think that was the case. I saw the CEO of the company
interviewed on television. He did not speak of any modifications to the
salmon's diet -- only to the genetic material in the salmon. He seemed also
by the way to be a very environmentally conscious person.

Specimens of the modified strain of salmon were displayed alongside ordinary
salmon. The new salmon were huge in comparison -- big and thick and meaty.
They looked like extraordinarily healthy salmon alongside weak skinny
salmon. According to the CEO the size difference was due to a genetically
engineered modification to the salmon which made it more efficient in its
use of food. I think he described it as something like engineering a car to
go more miles on the same tank of gasoline.

Personally I do not fear genetic engineering. Humans have been doing it for
ages with less technological means than today. Perhaps our mistake, from the
paleodiet perspective, is that in many cases we've been making the wrong
changes. Perhaps it is a mistake to grow and eat sweeter fruit but I think
it would not be logical to assume the arguments against sweeter fruit can in
some way be applied to bigger fish.

> We need salmons that eat original salmon food

We do? Why? Why should the diet of the fish make any difference if the
finished product meets our nutritional requirements?

>, so what is
> needed is to produce that in an efficient way, then feed it to ordinary
> salmons.

This goes to the question I asked of jean-claude concerning nutrionally
enhanced eggs. Where do we draw the line? Let us say that I use genetic
engineering or some other unusual hi-tech non-paleo means of increasing the
nutrient value and/or reducing the cost of salmon food, and then feed that
to the fish thus making more fish for a lower price to feed to the hungry
masses (like a modern-day Jesus :-). Aren't those fish also to be considered
non-paleo?

Perhaps someone should start a new diet movement called "neo-paleo". The
goal of this organization would be to use modern science and technology to
make the paleo WOE possible on a global scale in the 21st century. I would
support such an effort.

-gts