From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 06:44:50 -0500
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, gordon wrote:

> Tryptophan acts as a precurser in the brain to the neurotransmitter
> serotonin, which in most people curbs appetite. Serotonin is the
> neurotransmitter whose uptake is inhibited by Selective Serotonin Reuptake
> Inhibitors (SSRI's) like Prozac. The "fen" in the now defunct but hugely
> popular diet medication Phen-Fen was Fenfluoramine, another SSRI.

In Protein Power Lifeplan, the Eades claim that cholesterol also
has an SSRI effect.  Hmm.. I am not inclined to overeat eggs, but
I can easily overeat other sources of dietary cholesterol.  The
effect that you describe above may be why high-starch diets such
as the McDougall diet work so well for some people.  I have a
colleague who has lost a large amount of weight on that diet, and
we often have friendly debates about nutrition.  Unfortunately I,
being fat, am not as persuasive a spokesperson for paleo as he is
for McDougall.

Todd Moody