Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:34:53 -0800
Todd:
What do you recommend for weight loss? Can you provide
a sample of a paleo weight loss menu? You recommend
calorie deficit -- are there any foods that are more
or less likely to enhance weight loss?
Thanks.
Alyne Assunto

--- Automatic digest processor

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9912&L=paleofood&P=R18163

> [...]
> species of ``teeny, tiny
> primates,'' thumb-sized creatures smaller than any
> other known primate on the
> family tree leading to monkeys, apes and humans.
>
> ``This discovery reinvents our definition of what
> the primate order is all
> about and how it arose,'' said Richard Stucky,
> curator at the Denver Museum
> of Natural History.
>
> The fossilized foot bones, each about the size of a
> grain of rice, were
> sifted from tons of muddy rubbish at a limestone
> mine in eastern China. About
> 45 million years ago, the fragile primates lived in
> a rain forest, feeding on
> insects and sap.
>
> At one-third of an ounce - the weight of a couple of
> pencils - the smaller of
> the two is dwarfed by the 1-ounce Madagascar mouse
> lemur, the smallest known
> primate alive today.
>
> Scientists from Northern Illinois, Northwestern and
> Beijing's Chinese Academy
> of Sciences detail the species in this week's
> Journal of Human Evolution.
>
> In a separate article in the journal Nature, the
> group reported more fossils
> from a previously discovered third primate called
> Eosimias centennicus. They
> had discovered its teeth and jaws in the mid 1990s.
> Now they have ankle
> bones, which they say backs up their controversial
> claim that Eosimias is an
> early ancestor of humans.
>
> Eosimias and the two new tiny species all lived
> together around the time when
> lower primates split from the higher primates. Lower
> primates include lemurs.
> Higher primates include humans. The split happened
> 40 million to 50 million
> years ago.
>
> At 3 ounces, Eosimias was larger than the tiny
> species, which have not been
> named.
>
> The smaller of the two new species might have been
> below Eosimias on the
> evolutionary branch, a common ancestor of higher
> primates and some lower
> primates, said Chris Beard of the Carnegie Museum of
> Natural History.
>
> The larger one - weighing half an ounce - appears to
> be a higher primate,
> perhaps in the same family as Eosimias.
>
> ``Nobody would have believed that as recently as 45
> million years ago, our
> ancestors were about the size of a shrew,'' Beard
> said.
>
> Anthropologists expected to find a smallish creature
> at the fork between
> higher and lower primates.
>
> Because it would have needed to eat insects
> voraciously to keep up with an
> overheated metabolism, it would have had higher
> primate features: two eyes
> facing forward and soft hands without claws, all the
> better to focus on and
> grab bugs.
>
> ``That said, these are really tiny,'' said Brian

=== message truncated ===