From:
Jade Hubertz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:41:01 -0500
> > I would like to know what the reason for not eating seeds is?  Like
> > apple seeds and grapefruit seeds, or the cores and stems of apples?  Is
>
> > there a method to this madness? Suddenly I feel like eating all this stuff
> > just to see...but is there a good reason why I don't?
> >
> > Judith
>
> I seem to recall reading that many fruit seeds contain toxins,
> but I don't remember which fruits or which toxins.

A biochem friend had mentioned that apple seeds contain trace amounts of
arsenic.  However, from an evolutionary viewpoint, those seeds which
were edible (and remained intact while passing through the digestive
tract of the "carrier") had a better chance of propagating the species.
To me, this still doesn't answer the question of whether seeds are safe
to eat or not - I'm not really concerned about becoming a "Johnny
Appleseed" via my bowel movements!  At this time, though, I eat the
seeds of my fruits (I previously subscribed to the Bernard Jensen "eat
the whole food" school of diet and those habits die hard).