From:
"Dr. James Alpigini" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 07:08:20 -0500
At 07:19 AM 2/8/00 -0500, Todd wrote:

(regarding my odd weight gain on Paleo)

>The other question to ask is this: What would your fat-loss
>threshold be on a normal-carb diet?  I'm guessing that it would
>also be about 1800 per day.  My other guess is that on paleo your
>ratio of protein to fat may be higher than it should be,
>resulting in higher insulin levels and a greater tendency to
>retain fat.
>
>Looking at your numbers, 6 pounds of fat equals about 21000
>calories.  Divided by 35 days, that comes to exactly 600 calories
>per day.  Hmmm...

Thank you for your thoughts.

The calorie "formula" makes sense if it were maintenance, but I have been
actually gaining bodyfat.  Previously, I would loose, albeit slowly,  below
2000.  Now to get the weight to drop requires me to be in the 1600 to 1800
range.  My protein/fat ratio is the same as before and I've used the
ketosticks to ensure that I was in ketosis.  There seem to be two real
changes.  First, I've replaced the cheese, butter and cream with olive oil,
more oily fish like salmon, etc.  Second, my metabolism seems to have
slowed down a good 400 calories per day.

As I said, this is weird!

James at Penn State