From:
Julie Kangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:12:18 -0800
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Raymond, Charles E. x1280 wrote:

>> I can get that dove with a gun. (Yum!) Can you
>> get it with a knife?<<<<<
>
> No, but I can with my blow gun!

Ah!  But that wasn't in your list!  I wouldn't
have said a word about the firearms if it had been :)

> good tool.<<<<
>
> Romantic? I'm talking functional. No, if you want to take one shot at one
> animal, risk a miss and frighten off everything within a 1-2 mile radius
> then go for it.

Then don't miss! Don't forget that for most of the history
of firearms you only got one shot anyway.  People had to
be (and still should be) absolutely sure they can kill an
animal with one shot.

Besides, a .22 is very quiet and in some countrie
you are able, or even required, to use a silencer with one.

> I may decide to attach my blade to a long, sturdy stick and go spear
> fishing, Ever fish with a 30-30?

There's a state, forget which one, that actually has a pike
shooting season.  You have to adjust for refraction, of course,
but you would have to do so for the spear as well.

> cut holes through hides and intestines.  I also like a long-bladed filet
> knife (Rapala or similar) for separating joints instead of sawing through
> them or for boning out meat.<<<<<
>
> To field dress I will use my Leatherman, my teeth, and my hands, until I can
> get my catch back home.

Ah.  Forgot about the Leatherman.  That will work nicely
for opening up a quail or suchlike.

> equipment.  This could be as simple as setting small twine snares for birds
> (again, check your state laws.  You may need to get a trapper's license.)  I
> saw a video where a couple of !Kung tribesmen set a deceptively simple
> little snare using only a bit of naturally made twine, a few sticks and  a
> small wild onion.  Didn't take too long to get a tasty guinea fowl.<<<<
>
> Luckily, I'll be on private property and can set traps along that property.
> A fishing/hunting license is all I need even for spear fishing. I buy both
> just to be covered, the game wardens are plentiful here. It doesn't take a
> marvel of engineering to design an effective trap or snare. I simple design
> is usually most effective, less chance for the thing to malfunction. I would
> not rely on modern traps, I'm not saying they are not as effective, just
> that I wouldn't use them. Not that I'm Grizzly Adams either, I hunt with
> firearms the same as most hunters. I just don't rely on them alone, what
> happens when some unforeseen situation arises and the firearm becomes
> useless? Out of ammo? I'm not getting into a debate over firearms being
> better than a blade, it's a matter of personal preference.

Wow.  Sounds like you've got a real nice set up there.
I agree, in this instance you don't need the firearm (you
had me a little confused before by mentioning deer).

Have fun and good eating,

Julie