Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:00:14 -0800

>2.  Is there an alternative to rendered suet as a binding agent for
>pemmican?  I tried unhydrogenated coconut butter, but it melted  and
>turned my lovely meat muffins... I came across a recipe that called for
>peanut butter instead of  lard, but that's not paleo.

The suet is not just a binding agent, it is the half of pemmican that
keeps you out of excess-protein starvation, provides the essential
fatty acids for health & energy, and preserves the meat.

The meat half contains the rest, and, being made from low-temperature-
processed dehydrated meat, contains the vitamins, minerals and complex
nutrients also needed for health.

If the fat were only a kind of glue, then Elmer's glue or candle wax
would work much better ;-) ...but then Elmer's is casein derived and
definitely non-Paleo.

BTW suet and lard are not interchangeable. Suet is preferred, coming
from a certain fatty deposit in the food animal. It sets harder after
rendering and works better for pemmican. Most butchers will provide
it for free or nominal cost -- when they have it.