From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:08:27 CST
I realize this has nothing to do with the paleo diet, but it's a health
topic so I feel it's appropriate to ask about it here.

What's the best exercise for health nuts?  Marathon running, bodybuilding,
football, etc. are not about health.  There doesn't seem to be much info out
there on how a health nut would train.

Here r my thoughts and they're tentative at this point so feel free to
comment or offer suggestions.  I believe that cardio is a complete waste of
time.  Genetically, I believe our bodies our *not* well adapted to cardio
(similar principle to the paleo diet -- we're not programmed to eat grains
and dairy).  In nature, creatures *usually* exert themselves for short
amounts of time, and then they rest.  So, if this is true, y not use
anaerobic bursts of strength (e.g. weight training) for health and skip the
cardio entirely.

What type of exercises should I do for health.  Here's what I'm doing now.
As far as exercise, I'm definitely improving, but I'm for sure if it's
healthy.

Monday -- Upper Body
Hammer Strength Incline Press (2 work sets)
Nautilus Machine Pullover (2 work sets)
Curl-Grip Pulldown (2 work sets)
Dumbbell Lat Raise (1 work set)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press (1 work set)

Thursday -- Lower Body
Full Squats (2 works sets)
Leg Extension (2 work sets)
1-legged calf raises w/ dumbbell (2 works sets for each calf)

Are squats considered a healthy exericse?  They do compress the spine, and I
do spine extension to keep this to a minimum.  Would it be heathier to cut
out the squats and just to leg presses (for legs) + hyperextensions (for
lower back) and crunches (for abs).  The good thing that I like about squats
is that I do *not* have to do lower-back and ab work b/c they get
stabilization involvement in the squat.

Any help is Appreciated,
Justin Hasselman
Jefferson City, MO