Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:43:24 -0800
Judith & all,

I'm no expert on the Zone diet, but I do have time on my hands, so here's my
paragraph.

Basically, Dr. Sears believes we should balance carbs, fat & protein in the
ratio of 40%, 40%, 30%, at every meal.  This stabilizes the blood sugar &
insulin.  Too much insulin leads to extra calories being stored as fat,
whereas, if we are in the zone we are burning fat.  Also, in order to
maximize our possible life span, a calorie restricted diet is best. I'm not
a techie, so I can't explain the biochemical details, but I do encourage
everyone to read Dr. Sears' books.  They are well-written & have lots of
interesting stuff about the inter-relationships of various glands, hormones,
etc. and diet/exercise.  Also, he refers to some of the same studies of
paleo vs. neolithic nutrition & draws many of the same conclusions as the
folks on this list. Hope my paragraph helps.  By the way, I am neither a
committed Zone person nor committed Paleo person.  I do both in a half-assed
way, cheat a lot, love coffee, and yet am getting pretty good results
anyway.   Go figure.

Diane