PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edward Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:36:00 -0500
Roland,

My understanding of your reply to my posting (about dietary potassium,
dietary protein, and renal acid load) seems to do 2 things:

1.  To negate the perceived importance of the protein/potassium ratio
[which you seem to do by arguing that protein does not induce a net acid
load]

2.  To implicate a new dietary ratio (ie. carbohydrate/potassium or
carbohydrate/cations) to be of primary functional importance in maintaining
human health [which you seem to do by arguing that carbohydrate intake in
the context of a subclinical potassium deficiency may be at the root of
most (all?) of the modern-day diet-related metabolic disorders that have
surfaced as public
health concerns in the past century or so - primarily
due to diet-induced insulin resistance]

While you may be found to be entirely correct in these 2 seperate
postulations, will you please respond to the following concerns which
surface when your post is subjected to the scrutiny of critical analysis?

First, with regard to point #1 from above (that protein does not induce a
net acid load), I understand that, at least in theory, protein might be
thought of as being alkaline to the human body (by providing an excess of
ammonia).  Still, empirical observations have quantified a renal acid load
following increases in dietary protein [1,2].  Can/will you provide any
reasoning for these observations (as they directly contradict the "protein
doesn't induce a net acid load" argument)?

And secondly, with regard to point #2 from above (that the dietary
carbohydrate/cation r
atio is the pivotal dietary factor implicated in the
recent rise of insulin resistance in Western populations):  How do you
explain other 'competing' theories that seem to have data supporting them,
such as a dose-response effect of the long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated
fatty acids on insulin sensitivity in the animal model [3] which, I must
admit however, has not been conclusively substantiated in humans [4]?

Ed Thompson