NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:32:54 -0000
Subject: Glucose tolerance test beverage

>>I had bad stomach cramps, dry heaves, dry mouth, eventually diarrhea.  The
worse was >>over in 4 hrs but it didn't completely clear up until 24 hrs
later.  None of
> these were in the list of common adverse reactions.

My 9 year old daughter had the same symptoms, as yours for 18 months...the
breath hydrogen test, 3 weeks ago, showed she was producing high hydrogen
levels....linked to lactose intolerance, but as she has never liked milk,
even as a baby her lactose level was already low, so the doctor her had me
change her diet to no milk and no fruit for 10 days...the pain was not so
bad  after 3 days......but when she ate things such as tinned baked beans or
home made milk free biscuits, within 1 hour of a new food she had severe
pain.

I spoke to the dietician yesterday and Laura is now on a no milk, no fruit,
no sugar diet......
(Try telling a 9 year old they can't have the good food items i.e. breakfast
cereals, jam, chocolate etc.)

From my understanding (please don't quote me on this!)

Glucose and Sucrose make up cane and beet sugar and castor, icing, and brown
sugar.
Sucrose and fructose are the sugars that are in some fruits and vegetables

.....and natural flavourings which were in your drink, may have come from a
fruit that is high in sugar

Hope this helps...I have a full list of allowed/ not allowed foods to follow
now for a minimal lactose and sucrose diet...which I'm finding easy to
follow and prepare foods for her.
Susan