NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:17:00 -0500
Tori Hocking wrote:
>Could you tell me which cheeses you have had that did
 not give you a lactose reaction?<

As a general rule, the longer a cheese ages, the harder the cheese
and the lower the lactose content. Soft cheeses therefore almost
always have higher lactose percentages. "Cheese foods" almost
always have whey added and so have very high lactose percentages.

For the lactose content of 30 cheeses (and dozens of other dairy
products) see my Really BIG List of Lactose Percentages page in
the Dairy section of my web site, Steve Carper's Lactose
Intolerance Clearinghouse.

Steve Carper
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper/percent.htm