C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:57:27 EST
I'm hoping other people on our list will have something to say about what
I've written here.  I'm open to criticism, believe me.  An old college
instructor said two things that I can't forget.  He said that "hearing about
a thing a hundred times is not as good as seeing it once."  He also advised
his students to "never fall in love with their plans."  Every time I've
fallen in love with my plan, I've lost my perspective and screwed up.  So I
invite any comments you all might want to offer.

Moving next door to Huntley -- having the nature center there -- is a great
idea, actually.  I'm sure Huntley Meadows Park would appreciate having an
environmentally minded person living next door; that arrangement would be
tantamount to expansion of protected wetland.  This is where my mind is going
with Wings In Flight, Inc.  "Where are we going from here" is my question.  I
am having trouble myself going out and I can't plan anything, as you (Trisha)
know better than anyone.  I never dreamed that my physical issues would
progress to the degree that they have.  I'm not able to beat down the doors
for fundraising, and our general liability insurance runs out at the end of
this month.  I just can't pick up the tab for another year, and we can't do
anything without insurance.  That's one of the big reasons we're in a holding
pattern right now.

If anybody doesn't know what I'm talking about, I have prepared a website
that I am not at all happy with (I don't know how to do the accessible pages
properly), but it explains what Wings In Flight, Inc. is.

http://www.homestead.com/wingsinflight/wingsinflight.html

There is a way and I'll find it (semper fi), but it seems like a nature
center established to be all-inclusive would be a better contribution to the
community than what we were originally doing.  Next door to Huntley would be
ideal!

Something that has been bothering me for a long time is a subconscious
attitude I've noticed in the environmental community.  They have been so
ingrained with the idea that humankind has destroyed the environment, they
sometimes tend to forget that humans are part of the environment and belong
here too -- just like the peregrine falcon.  This is a terribly misplaced
concern, IMHO, and contributes to some of our difficulties.  We're out there
pounding the beat for equality, and they're out their pushing the idea --
unconsciously -- that our species is a lower life form.

Moreover (is that Betty ever going to shut up?), there is a "survival of the
fittest" mentality that is pervasive in environmentalist circles.  That works
for the part of the animal kingdom that doesn't include us, but it doesn't
work for us.  I except lazy people in this statement.  If people are lazy on
the job and don't do what they are supposed to do, I really don't care if
they survive.  They are making that decision for themselves.  But we, the
disability community, are not considered "fit" in nondisabled circles.

People like Peter Singer have trained a lot of people to think in terms that
I don't believe are healthy for the human race as a whole
(meaning...including us).  Singer did a lot of damage years before he was
ever a topic of conversation in our community by writing books such as
"Animal Liberation," as well as some of his other works (I'm not trying to
start a "Singer bashing" thread, by the way).  He's made serious headway.  It
scares me that I've gotten the clear impression from some nature lovers that
the survival of the fittest philosophy applies to humans too.  It does not,
at least not with regard to people with disabilities.

A self aware species can do better than that, and I would like to make a
contribution to bridging the gap in society's training over the last 35 - 40
years or so...if I can.

I'm thinking more clearly than I was last year about this, and the year
before, and the year before that.  When I first saw what was really happening
in society, I had nothing but undefined rage and I couldn't see past it.  The
rage is still there, but it seems like my focus is a little more clear about
this.  At least I think it is, but I invite criticism.

Trisha -- I know you've been waiting a long time to hear that.

In a message dated 02/11/2000 7:05:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,