C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 07:31:46 -0500
Good Morning,

           Yesterday, the was a a series of brazen attacks on major Web
sites on Tuesday, leading to shutdowns at Buy.com Inc. and eBay Inc. after a
similar assault hit Yahoo! Inc. the day before. The attacks followed the
same pattern, with a massive flow of automated Internet messages landing on
the sites and swamping them with millions of messages, effectively blocking
them to routine traffic. Other sites, too, appeared to be operating slowly,

                Altho I did not see any evidence of this - some of you might
have. The offical words from the ListOwners List is:

> A lot of the problems yesterday and today are related to the networked
> denial of service attacks on yahoo.com, ebay.com and buy.com.  Since those
> sites are hosted on some major services (including verio), the amount of
> bandwidth consumed to accomplish these attacks has the peripheral effect
of
> slowing things down for the rest of us.
>
> Sprintnet and possibly BBN were also affected...our domains nospin.org and
> fluidlight.com were not visible to anyone whose ISP used either of those
> backbones.
>
> Also, since the initial diagnoses of the DoS attacks were "bad routers",
> taking those routers out of service certainly exacerbated the problem.

                             Brightest Blessings
                                  Trisha