C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
James Blackledge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Blackledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 12:05:53 -0500
OK Betty, you asked.

I was raised in Southern California.  I've since lived all over the world.
Went to school in Miami, FL, which really isn't part of this planet, so it
wouldn't qualify as south of anything.  Talk about alien life.  Anyways, I
also lived four years in Columbia, SC.  A beautiful state.   Learned alot
down there, particularly about the revolutionary war as so much of it was
fought down there.  But.....I was a woman in a professional job (gasp).  I
was a "yankee" (called that many times, even though as of then I had never
lived farther north than South Carolina, and was, in fact, from CA).   Oh,
what a combination.  I think it was more the fact that I was a woman doing
an "unfeminine" job, I guess (I was a geologist).  While I thought the state
was beautiful, I would never consider living there again as I'm not a
native.  Then we moved to upstate NY for 5 1/2 years.  What shocked me the
most is how alike it was to SC in appearance, as well as the friendliness of
the people.  However, I came to really love NY.  No sexual discrimination
the like of which I experienced in NY.  EXTREMELY friendly people.  I think
because we had so much bad weather there so much of the year (average 160"
of snow), people really pulled together.  You really have to make an effort
to make and keep friendships when you have to get through seven foot walls
of snow to get anywhere.  Because the economy is so depressed up there and
not getting any better, we had to look elsewhere to move forward
economically.  Now, we're in the midwest (gulp again).  I know there are
people here from my area (hi Joanne!), but so far, after a year, I'm not
quite at home yet.  People here are much more reserved than I'm used to, and
they drive like maniacs! (Who doesn't, these days though).

So.....my opinion on the North/South stuff?   Give me California!!!!!!!!  I
want to go hoooooommmmmeeeee!!!!! (If anyone needs a fifty page opinion on
why I love CA, just ask!)  I keep clicking my heels, but so far it's not
working:)

Barb