C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:36:01 -0500
It is an ankle foot orthoses.  There are many types articulated and not.  I
can't believe they are charge hundreds of dollars for the little suckers.
All it is, is a fancy piece of thermoplastic, not hard to make either. See
if they can get you one with perforated material.  They shouldn't be causing
you callouses and skin break down no matter what the doctor tells you.  Get
a wearing schedule from the doctor.  Sometimes you can get away with just
wearing them during the day.  Build up tolerance to them by wearing them up
to 20 minutes at a time.  And above all else, wear the correct shoes with
them.  Which usually means wearing a larger size shoe.

Beth the OT who is recuperating from a colonscopy.