AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelechi Eke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:11:11 GMT
Indeed, Richard.  Congratulations to the Indomitable Lions!!  Despite my
nationality, I have been a Lions fan since the days of Abega.  I am very
proud of my country's fans.  The world expected them to be violent but we
proved them wrong as we will in many other ways.  So Nigeria's loss to me is
actually a big victory.  At the end, my two teams won!!

There was a posting here about Nigerian fans interrupting the game against
Senegal.  I found out that the fans jumped into the field after a goal was
scored in the extra time - thinking it was a "Golden Goal."  However, CAF
doesn't go by the golden goal rule.  This action caused a delay of the game
which Senegal ended up losing.  But we heard only one side of the story.
Did you hear that many Nigerians in Senegal were beaten up, injured, and
hospitalized?  The Nigerian traders' shops were destroyed and many of them
were seeking refuge in Senegal.  I am sure that there were people from
Senegal that protected many Nigerians that were running for their lives.  It
was also Senegaleese doctors and nurses that treated the injured Nigerians.

So what's the point?  Soccer is a sport that has fans that are capable of
doing anything.  African soccer fans in general are not even close to being
as crazy as football fans from many parts of Europe and South America, and
yet these non-African countries do not mix their sports riverary with their
national diplomatic relations with eachother.  And I hope that Africa and we
as Africans can do the same.  Like Richard said, there is unity through
sports.

Congratulations once again to the Indomitable Lions!!

Peace,

KC