Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 23:16:09 -0500
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 06:33:14 -0500, Ilya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
> >> I've not an answer, but would like to add my own
> >> experience. I introduced some totaly animal
> >> free weeks once a year - this included
> >> dairy-free of course.
> >> I experienced an enhanced sense of smell after
> >> 2-3 weeks and also generally enhanced senses.
> >> Maybe that was due to the cut out of dairy only.
>
> >Could also be adrenal exhaustion. People with chronic
> >fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia and people under a lot
> >of physical and emotional stress often find their
> >senses (particularly smell) getting more acute. They
> >also are more irritable in general and specifically by
> >noise.
> Well but I didn't feel fatique at all, to the opposite
> somehow more "alive", and quicker. Really better so that I
> wanted to keep it for longer, but my wife resisted it..
> I think somewhat else mus have laid at the senses before.
>
> Adrenal exhaustion is lack of a hormone production, isn't it?
> What's missing in the body that this can occur?
You aren't going to feel exhausted - your adrenals might be.
Often with exhausted adrenals it's not even the current level of
hormones, but adrenals ability to boost them when the need arises
that's low. For example, one clinical way to tell if somebody truly has a
chronic fatigue syndrome is to measure his/her cortisol levels,
then put him on a stationary bike for 30 minutes, then measure again.
In a healthy person cortisol will go up, in someone with CFS it will
go down. Before exercise hormonal levels are normal to borderline low.

Othostatic hypotention is one symptom you might have, slightly lower
BP is another (say 110/70), though I am not saying that adrenal exhaustion
is the only reason for this. Lower sex drive is another possible
symptom.

When following CFS/fibromyalgia I noticed that most of the
symptoms could be explained by a low adrenal/thyroid function.  People on
that list compiled a list of standard and unusual symptoms and they included
such oddities as ridged fingernails, increased foot size, bone spurs,
increased irritability to many senses, increased senses, esp. smell,
smelling burning insulation (when others wouldn't), crunching sound when
turning ones neck (sounds similar to walking on gravel or twigs), etc.
There was no way to predict which of these a particular patient would have,
but usually had at least some of them.

As for what might be missing from the body for it to occur:
1. Generally it is not a shortage of something, but rather an elevated
   requirement for adrenal hormones that are a problem.
2. Lack of sleep alone can induce it (actually not just can, but will, given
   enough time).
3. High levels of emotional of physical stress
4. Hypoglycemia
5. Lack of vitamin C or zinc. I believe adrenals have the highest concentration
   of C in the body.

> >A diet high in carbs would have a tendency to put extra
> >stress on ones adrenals.
> My diet did *not* go up in carbs. As I told you i use pretty much
> fats all the time. And salads aren't high in carbs.
> But my diet went down in protein - i didn't know such good
> plant protein sources then.
I didn't say your diet went up in carbs, but I did suspect it. You would
know better what you are eating. I made that assumption simply because
a vegetarian diet is almost always a fairly high carb one. From what
I remembered your diet was already fairly high in carb (you DO eat beans,
whole grains, etc.). Cutting out dairy lowered both your
protein and your fat intake, so unless you dropped your calories or
drastically increased your oil/fat intake from veggie sources, your carb
count would have went up. Perhaps it is also a simple difference in our
definitions of what constitutes high carb. You might think that 50% of
calories from carbs is not high whereas I think it is.

Ilya