Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 10:55:08 -0400
On Thu, 11 May 2000 16:51:49 -0400, matesz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Incidently, according to the USDA data, 100g of whole dried sesame
>>seeds contains .388g of tryptophan -- more than twice what you report.
>
>Did you mean .388 milligrams???  Isn't it customary to use the closest
>measurement?  i.e., if something is a fraction of a gram to list it in
>milligrams?

Its right in grams USDA lists amino acids in grams.

>Would not the phytates in the sesame seeds interfere with trytophan
>absorption?  After all, I've read that the phytates (fiber complexes)
>interfere with calcium, iron, and other minerals in seeds.

Phytates interfere with absorption of minerals which can be a problem
because they build unsoluble complexec with them.
Alas semam is exactely a very good iron and calcium source,
this is reduced by the phytin. And alas I've never encountered a reference,
how big the phytate-part in various seeds was. Alas, Usda doesn't list
such important topics. May be it is considered (by USDA) as not so important
and overcome without problems by "normal" processing.
(Up to 50% of energy may come from unleavened grains, see excerpt from
Cordaine Interview below)

But Tryptophan is from protein, a (big) amino acid molecule, and
it must be a great accident if it would interfere with phytate, i think.
I also haven't heard from a protein digestion disturbing ingredient
in sesam. But oxal-acid may inhibit iron absorption (not measurements too).

>  Also, eating 3
>1/2 oz. of sesame seeds is quite a large volume.  I don't think it  is a
>realistic servings size.

As wombn's list revealed, sesame has an outstanding high
try content / compared to other amino-acids
(the trick is to keep the other amino acids down).

Only rivaled by breadnut, dates, mushrooms and "winged beans".
As 50mg 5-htp are considered a effective evening dose
about 50mg try might be efficient, if fully converted.
This are about 12 g sesame. Normally i eat much more as tahini...

For niacin deficient (frequent) a safety-margin can be assumed (niacin
is made from try).

>Rachel

Amadeus

Cordain about phytin:
Loren Cordain: .... They have poorly absorbable vitamin
B6, and the phytate levels in grains impairs the absorption of most of the
divalent minerals. .... Excessive consumption of cereal grains are
associated with a wide variety of health
problems. .... Hypogonadal dwarfism is found more often
in populations consuming high (~50% of total energy) from unleavened whole
grain breads .