Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 21:40:01 -0700
>Please, what are "breadnuttree" and "winged beans"???
>I haven't any dictionary containing it, babelfish also refuses to
>translate it.
>Who knows and can describe it please help.

Winged bean  ( Psophocarpus tetragonolobus ) called goa bean too
the immature pods can be eaten raw or cooked,having the taste of snap
beans.Young leaves and shots used as potherbs . Unripe seeds can be used as
soup. the protein rich dried seeds are roasted and eaten like peanut, used
as a coffe substitute or fermented into tempeh. Also the source of an edible
oil, the slighly sweet tuberous roots contain 20 % protein or more, which is
much higher that contained in other roots and tubers  such as cassava.They
are eaten raw or cooked like potatoes. flowers and flower buds can be eaten
in salads
steamed or batter -fried like tempura. The light blue flower are also used
for food coloring. crisp hypertrophies formed by a parasitic mold are
consumed as a delicacy by the sundanese in Indonesia. Tropical asia
cultivated vine. many varieties some with very long pods reaching 8 inches
in lengh.

Breadnut tree ( Artocarpus altilis "seminefera") seeded breadfruit the
nutritious seeds called pan de pepita are boiled fried or roasted and have a
flavor somewhat reminiscent of chestnuts. they are commonly peeled before
being eaten . occasionaly found in spanish markets in the largest cities of
north america.
(a variety of breadfruit  an same family than  jackfruit)

text recopied from Cornucopia 2 a source of edible plants by stephen
Facciola,  Kampong publication 98
a great ressource books for anyone interested to diversify one diet or
garden. are listed many sources for seeds.plant by plant and their uses .
jean-claude