C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:17:55 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Majordomo Account [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Justice For All Moderator
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 11:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Bill Bradley on People with Disabilities

                         Justice For All

            Bill Bradley on People with Disabilities

Thank you for contacting my campaign.  Not enough Americans take the
time to write expressing their concerns about the future of our nation.
I hope this note will begin to answer some of your questions.  We may
not agree on every issue, but my policy positions will always be honest
and forthright.

Today more than ever before, the test of presidential leadership is
the willingness to confront tough challenges.  Our country must elect a
president who can be trusted to do just that, and who trusts the
American
people to do their part in return.  We hear again and again that we live
in
times of unprecedented economic prosperity.  And that is certainly true
for
many, though not everyone, in our society.  Yet good times haven't
erased
the serious problems that plague our children, our system of health
care,
and the civic underpinnings of our society.  Nor do they spare our
leaders
the burden of rising to new and complex demands abroad.

Rising to the big challenges facing our country is the central message
of my
campaign, and America is paying attention.  I've staked my campaign on a
standard of leadership that is equal to our country's potential.  I am
honored by the palpable momentum that is building behind me. The
overwhelming public support my campaign has already received shows that
can win the Democratic nomination and then go on to win the presidency
next
November.

I am not going to rely on poll-tested phrases as a substitute for my own
convictions.  Instead, I will tell people what I believe and where I
think
the country should go.  I owe it to all Americans to be candid-out of
respect for their ability to deal with the complexity and uncertainty of
life-in a way that allows our children to have a better future than we
do
today.

As the campaign progresses, I urge you to follow my campaign on our
website
at www.billbradley.com <http://www.billbradley.com> , where you can
obtain
regular updates on campaign activities, statements on the issues, and
information on how to get involved and make a contribution.  I
appreciate
your interest and the time you have taken to contact me, and hope I can
count on your support.

Sincerely,
Bill Bradley

BILL BRADLEY ON PEOPLE WITH DISABILITES

Bill Bradley understands the courage and needs of people who live with
disabilities.

His father had calcified arthritis of the spine.  Bradley knows from his
father that people with disabilities are productive workers and loving
family members. And he knows that there is no issue more important to
people
with disabilities than good health care.

Bill Bradley has traveled the country and listened to America. He has
heard
countless stories from people who lack adequate health insurance. 44
million
Americans live without it altogether - 73% of whom are employed. In a
time
of unprecedented prosperity, this is unacceptable.

To help these Americans and to improve the quality of health care for
all
Americans, Bradley has offered a bold health plan that will provide
affordable access to all Americans and that will guarantee that all
children
have health care and people with disabilities new benefits and choices.

* Today, Medicaid is the principal source of health care for seven
million people with disabilities. Bradley protects and expands all the
benefits of Medicaid, even as his proposal puts an end to the current
segregated and unequal health care system.

* All Americans will have access to the same health plans currently
available to federal employees, members of Congress, and the President
and
Vice-President. People with disabilities who rely on Medicaid would
receive
care through mainstream systems, which will be funded through a special
needs pool. They will also have a choice of doctors.

* Nearly five million disabled people rely on Medicare. Bradley
improves Medicare with two new benefits that will advance the quality of
life for the disabled and their family members. One is a prescription
drug
benefit that will be true insurance against the high costs of drugs that
those with chronic disabilities face. The second is a set of home and
community services that will allow many of the Medicare disabled to stay
in
their homes and not be forced into residential care.

Bill Bradley champions the progress our nation has made in improving the
quality of lives of the people with disabilities. Bradley assures people
with disabilities of their health care and will continue to push hard
for
new access and new opportunities for all Americas.

Bradley's Record Fighting for Americans with Disabilities
* As a U.S. Senator, Bill Bradley co-sponsored the 1989 Americans with
Disabilities Act, which established a clear and comprehensive
prohibition of
discrimination on the basis of disability.

* He also co-sponsored the Civil Rights Restoration Act, which sought
to restore protections for people with disabilities, women, minorities
and
the elderly whose rights had been narrowed by a 1984 Supreme Court
decision,
Grove City College v. Bell.

* He fought to amend the Social Security Act to provide a program of
comprehensive community-based long-term care services for people with
disabilities.

* He sought to amend the Social Security Act to provide a new disability
retirement benefit for those who are unable to work because they are
disabled.

For updates on the issues, please visit us at
www.billbradley.com <http://www.billbradley.com/>
Bill Bradley for President, 395 Pleasant Valley Way,
West Orange, New Jersey  07052
Paid for and authorized by Bill Bradley for President.
Produced in-house.  Labor donated.

Issues Department
Bill Bradley For President
395 Pleasant Valley Way