From:
Lynda McKeen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:01:15 -0500

> I have noticed that very recently, several brands of cheaper California
> "jug wines" (for example, Carlo Rossi) have changed their labeling from
> "100% grape wine" to "grape wine with natural flavors added."  Does
> anybody know what these vintners are typically adding to their wines
> now?

I can't remember who put this question out, and I can't say I have an
answer, but a friend of mine in Napa Valley has this to say:

I haven't seen that change on the labels...  of course, I haven't
bought much wine lately.  I have heard that some of the bulk wine
people (like Carlo Rossi and Gallo, but not necessarily them) are
"flavoring" their wine with other fruit juices, maybe peaches, pears,
that kind of thing.  I suggest taking a real close look at the
ingredients list...  If it has anything other than grape juice in it,
it's not "real" wine...  it's a half-breed.  It may be that there's
not enough wine grapes (as opposed to table grapes) to go around, so
they're using fruit juices to bulk out their product.

Larry
Napa Valley, CA