From:
Richard Crooker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 08:18:00 EST

I've had several requests for my donut recipe, so I'll post it to the
list:

     4 1/2 cups flour (gf--I used Bette Hagman's mixture)
     1 3/4 cups sugar
     7 tsps baking powder
     2 tsp salt
     1/2 tsp nutmeg
     1/2 tsp cinnamon
     3 eggs
     2 tsp vanilla
     2 cups milk or water
     1 cup oil (I used corn oil as my son is allergic to soy)

Mix dry ingredients together.  At medium speed, beat eggs and vanilla.
Add rest of wet ingredients.  Add dry misture.  Makes about 2 doz.
donuts.

The donut maker instructions (mine is a Hamilton Beach, gotten at a
garage sale for $2) say to add 1/2 to 1 tsp. oil, and it's not clear
whether that's for the first donuts or for each time.  I decided no one
needs extra oil, so I just sprayed with PAM (we have to use Mazola corn
oil spray) instead.

The drawback to this is that you only make two donuts at a time, and
for even browning, they have to be flipped part way through.  So you're
spending a lot of time hanging around the kitchen.  But then you have a
lot of donuts for the freezer, and they nuke up nicely--80% power,
20-30 seconds.  I serve them with some confectionary sugar dusted on
top, although he's lobbying for chocolate icing!

Barbara Crooker